Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cheltenham Gold Cup & St. Patricks Day


This year marked the 100th running of the Cheltenham Gold Cup.  The race was part of a four-day racing festival that brought an additional 70,000 people to town.  From Royals to commoners, country gents to footballers, pop stars and everyone in between, the event brought in all kinds and had something for each of them; including this first time racer.

I was lucky enough to come by free tickets through a co-worker, thanks Jola! I guess they did actually cost me a few pints but even at $7.50 a pint I was ahead when you consider our tickets would have been near $100 for the day.  Our club tickets allowed us entry to several bars and the middle of the track for some prime viewing.  We never saw the inside of the additional bars because they were so busy and there was a Guinness village!  There is a large contingent of Irish people who come over for the races every year.  I read as many as 15,000 come over the four days.  I don’t know the exact figure but there were plenty of Irish accents to be heard amongst the crowd and several hundred thousand pints of Guinness consumed.   

Knowing nothing about the horses racing or even how to put a bet down I sought advice from coworkers and a group of three guys I met on the train from London that morning.  They gave me five tips that I thought to be well founded based on the Racing Post (think Wall Street Journal but for horse racing) and analysis I heard on TV.  I placed bets based on four of these tips with one paying off.  Interestingly enough the one tip I didn’t follow ended up winning the Gold Cup.  Even so, since this horse was favored the payout odds weren’t too good and my each way bet on the horse taking second paid out more. 

The race also brought about my first royal spotting.  Princess Anne and her daughter Princess Zara were both in attendance.  Princess Anne I believe is a Charles’ sister.  Her daughter Zara, grand daughter of the Queen, apparently lives somewhat near me in Cheltenham.  I did a snap a picture of Zara if anyone of you is curious.  See the Flickr feed.

A few observations: horse racing here, at least the big ones, are more about the scene and being seen.  They are very social events with a loose pecking order based on the amount of money one is willing or able to pay for their tickets.  Two, tweeds and hats can actually be stylish.  Growing up in the states this look has always been very foreign to me but people here can actually pull it off without looking like they’ve wondered off a movie set.  Three, people here love to gamble.  Men and women win and loose absurd amounts of money in a matter of minutes.  I’m getting more comfortable with the fact there are legal bookmakers on most every street.  Again, growing up in the states gambling is largely illegal and has a certain stigma attached to it. 

Lastly, it’s worth mentioning my St. Patrick’s Day was spent in London.  My cousin Fred was in town for work.  This allowed a chance meeting on Thursday for dinner and several pints.  While the English and Irish don’t have the most friendly historical relationship the day and Irish culture are still celebrated.  It might have something to do with the large number of American students who study in London and were out in force on Thursday.  Either way, we had some decent fish and chips before finding an Irish bar with a live band to settle in at.  I had a blast and hope it works out next time you are around Fred!  Ryan, Chris, and Pete, I expect to see all of you here soon!         

No comments:

Post a Comment