Sunday, August 21, 2011

Belgium = good beer

The fact I didn't do too much sightseeing combined with the fact its been two months since I was there means this will be a short update.  

We saw the major sights in Antwerp which include a brand new modern art museum, enormous shipping harbor, cathedral, and some great examples of 15 and 16th century architecture in the old center of town.  There is also a huge train station in Antwerp that is considered to be one of the most beautiful in Europe.



Belgium is also famous for its beer.  Again, I was there for work so I didn't get to sample as many as I would have liked but the few I had were delicious.  Karmeliet, Leffe, Kwak, and Westmalle are the ones I can still remember.  Stopped at an interesting pub that was immediately across the street from the cathedral. The inside of the pub was decorated with hundreds of statues of saints.

I hope to get back to Belgium so that I can spend some time in Brussels.  I hear a day trip to Bruges would be worth it too.  Have any of you been to either place?  Any recommendations?  

1 comment: