I found myself in Paris yet again for work a few weeks back. This marked my fourth trip there since April of this year. I'm certainly not complaining about having to be in a great city for work but I am having to look harder for things to do at the weekend.
I managed to find some pictures online to see what the fuss was all about. Looked cool but I wasn't going to wait in line just to say I lived through a Prince movie.
There were 6 or 7 other exhibits set up throughout the city but like I said, long lines and I like sleep too much.
Other than that I rocked a John Axford mustache in Paris for the weekend while the Brewers continued their winning ways. Sure was a great season! Can't wait to see what happens in the off season. Until then I'll be cheering for the Packers and Badgers from afar.
Having covered most of the big tourist spots I'm having to look high and low for new ones. I emphasize low because I took a tour of the sewer system on my list trip... yup, literally underground in the sewer. Knowing nothing other than what Victor Hugo wrote in Les Miserables I figured I was in for a dorky, discovery channel type experience that would leave me wanting to explore the sewers of other cities. I can say without a doubt that was not the case. As a history enthusiast I found this to be a boring tour. I don't doubt that the system is an engineering marvel that allowed the city to prosper, disease free throughout the most recent centuries. I guess the whole point of it was lost on me, the Romans had a sewer and aqueduct system long before. So why the big deal here? Maybe I missed that sign on the tour. The few visual displays and multiple story boards are signed in multiple languages. This was probably my favorite part because it allowed me to practice reading French. Apologies to engineering friends who probably would have found it fascinating. Perhaps if we'd gone together you could have explained it in a way that would have allowed me to enjoy it more. On the other hand, its a sewer and it smells, who are we kidding, I won't be going back.
A couple shots from my walking around during the day.
A couple shots from my walking around during the day.
Thankfully an annual Paris museum night called Nuit Blanche was happening that same night. The premise of this night is that there are modern art exhibits set up all over the city and they stay open all night, 7pm to 7am. The closet one to me was titled Purple Rain. Appropriately it featured purple lighting and rain that appeared to come from no where. The line was roughly three hours long so after snapping a picture I went back to the hotel to sleep.
I managed to find some pictures online to see what the fuss was all about. Looked cool but I wasn't going to wait in line just to say I lived through a Prince movie.
There were 6 or 7 other exhibits set up throughout the city but like I said, long lines and I like sleep too much.
Other than that I rocked a John Axford mustache in Paris for the weekend while the Brewers continued their winning ways. Sure was a great season! Can't wait to see what happens in the off season. Until then I'll be cheering for the Packers and Badgers from afar.



No comments:
Post a Comment