Sunday, June 3, 2012

Pomp, Pageantry, and Pouring Rain

I'm in the middle of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations and in typically British fashion, its been pouring rain for the better part of the day.  The British are hardy, if nothing else, and the rain hasn't seemed to dampen the festivities. Evidenced by the fact more than 1,000,000 people lined the banks of the Thames river to watch the Jubilee flotilla of more than 1,000 boats make its way from Waterloo bridge to Tower bridge.  I've read this is the largest flotilla to come down the Thames since the 17th century!

I had considered traveling to London to witness this spectacle in person but am glad I decided to forego the crowds and weather because it allowed me to celebrate at a good old fashioned "block party".  Although they are called street parties here because they don't necessarily have "blocks" with straight roads.  None the less, the streets were closed, neighbors gathered, barbecues were lit, games were played, and fun was had.  The scene for this party was the church I've been frequenting since moving here, St. Luke's.  Aesthetically speaking, it isn't the prettiest churc in Cheltenham but it looked great today with Union Jack bunting, old photos of the Royals in the Cheltenham area, and lots of other Jubilee/Royal themed decorations.  The only other unique aspect of the day was a hat competition - one for the women, who clearly had spent some time on theirs in the days, if not weeks, leading up to the event; and one for the children who made theirs today after church.  The winners were awarded Jubilee spoons, which I suppose is considered a prize to some people.

 Church grounds

 Some of the food

 More of the church grounds

 One of the many cakes and puddings

 Interior of the church

Some of the women's hats; the winner with a hat 
featuring cupcakes is on the right

The rest of the weekend's events will include a concert at Buckingham Palace tomorrow night and a service of thanksgiving at St. Paul's cathedral on Tuesday.  Generously, we've all been given the days off work so that we can enjoy the festivities.  I've got another street party planned for tomorrow followed by some work on Tuesday.  My next trip to Morocco is fast approaching.  Good news is I'll be stateside shortly after I'm done there.  Hope to see as many of you as I can when I'm home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment