Contrary to popular belief I do have a job and a life here that keeps me semi busy. With that said, my semi busy life isn't all that exciting thus I don't feel the need to update all of you what I had for lunch on a particular day. Oddly enough I would like to tell you about my dinner a couple weeks back. I gorged myself on crepes - no wait, they were pancakes because it was Pancake Day here in England. In the US we call it Mardi Gras.
Also called Shrove Tuesday, the day is very similar to Mardi Gras with perhaps less drinking. The idea is to eat up all the sweets in your house by making pancakes and topping them with an array of sugary junk food that is commonly given up during lent. I decided to get into the spirit of things by hosting a pancake dinner for a few friends.
For my American readers I should point out that these "pancakes" are not pancakes in the way we think of them - thick and fluffy. English pancakes are thinner and less filling which is why you load them toppings. Think crepes, except not because these are English, not French!
Our sweet ingredients for the night included nutella, powdered sugar, sugar, maple syrup, cream, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, and even some lemon juice. Apparently sugar and lemon juice is a traditional topping. Always being up for trying something different I tried one this way, it was actually pretty good. Sticking with the theme of trying new things we also had savory (salty) ingredients on hand. Black forest ham and parmigiano cheese made a great crepe - oh wait, pancake. Whatever name you want to use they were tasty. Below you'll see a few pictures from the night.
Also called Shrove Tuesday, the day is very similar to Mardi Gras with perhaps less drinking. The idea is to eat up all the sweets in your house by making pancakes and topping them with an array of sugary junk food that is commonly given up during lent. I decided to get into the spirit of things by hosting a pancake dinner for a few friends.
For my American readers I should point out that these "pancakes" are not pancakes in the way we think of them - thick and fluffy. English pancakes are thinner and less filling which is why you load them toppings. Think crepes, except not because these are English, not French!
Our sweet ingredients for the night included nutella, powdered sugar, sugar, maple syrup, cream, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, and even some lemon juice. Apparently sugar and lemon juice is a traditional topping. Always being up for trying something different I tried one this way, it was actually pretty good. Sticking with the theme of trying new things we also had savory (salty) ingredients on hand. Black forest ham and parmigiano cheese made a great crepe - oh wait, pancake. Whatever name you want to use they were tasty. Below you'll see a few pictures from the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment