Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trencin

With Saturday lost to rain and driving lessons.  Sunday was my only day to sightsee in Slovakia.  Not wanting to drive to far off the main path here Vicky and I set out for Trencin.  Located between Bratislava and Martin, Trencin is a small town surrounding a hilltop castle.  The towns history dates back to the 9th century when Romans visited the area.  Roman inscriptions carved into the hillside can still be seen inside the town's hotel.  After walking the town square and window shopping we found an outdoor cafe with decent coffee and a sun bathed seating area.  Considering we hadn't seen the sun since arriving a week ago this was most welcomed.  After an hour of people watching in the sun we began our walk up the hill to the hrad or castle.  Forty minutes and 2 euro later we arrived at the gates of a 13th century castle. After our brief guided tour we were free to wander a small museum and observation tower.  The museum's exhibit and misguided translations provided some welcomed entertainment in my own language.  The view from the observation deck was very nice as well.  I'll try and post some pictures this weekend for you all.  Off to watch the Zilina v Chelsea football match.  Apparently Slovakia has a premier league team... I did try and get tickets for the game but there weren't any available by the time I found out about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment