If you enjoy golf or history St. Andrews, Scotland is a place worth going. Considered to be the home of golf they have been playing the game there for over 500 years. The Royal & Ancient, Europe's governing body of golf is headquartered here in an underwhelming 1850s building. After a walk through the golf museum it is obvious that ball and club technology has evolved a lot in the past 150 years. We no longer play with hickory shafted clubs and balls made of string. The constant are the links style courses. To be honest, they aren't that nice but the history and scenery makes it worth the visit. Sadly, I was there for work and not able to play The Old Course. I did get a round in at The Dukes which is on the hills looking down at St. Andrews. Beautiful course and a great time of the year to play. The weather was so nice the day we played (60s and sunny with no wind) I am not sure it counts as having played in Scotland! The last interesting piece about the links style courses in St. Andrews is that they are publicly owned. Meaning: one, locals can get a season pass for 185 pound where as a single round would cost me upwards of 400 pound... two, The Old Course is closed on Sundays, even during busy season. This allows us cheapskates and non golfers a chance to walk the course. You can walk the course the other six days of the week but you run the risk of getting hit by errant golf shots! Three, not cleaning up after your dog fouls the course (poops on the fairway) will result in a 40 pound fine!
The town itself dates from the dark ages. Because of its location on the sea it was a fishing town for centuries. Like most European cities it features its own castle and church ruins as well as a large cemetery. I'm happy to report I wasn't locked in the cemetery or crypt after hours like some of my friends who have visited! The pictures I posted on flickr will show you more clearly than I can explain the ancient ruins.
A quick piece on the university because I've been asked. Since the royal engagement has been announced, the 600 year University of St. Andrew's has suddenly been thrust into the international spotlight (along with the mail order party business. What the... does that mean anyways?) St. Andrews is in fact a great University town. Dominating much of the North Sea coast line are the stone academic buildings and student dormitories. Not a bad view when staring out your window instead of studying. There is a decent nightlife at the pubs surrounding the university. One such pub was connected to our hotel and the scene of more than a couple memorable events from our stay.
Scotch, scotch, scotch. In my belly. I may not like it as much as Ron Burgundy but we tried an awful lot of it while there. The Road Hole Bar located inside the Old Course hotel is world famous for its scotch menu. With over 200 kinds to chose from two weeks was not nearly enough time to make a serious dent in the list. I did leave with a serious dent in my wallet though. Alcohol is measured very carefully (in small amounts) and taxed very highly. This results in high prices for small amounts of drink. The 400 year old Tullibardine distillery was the scene of my other tastings. The privately owned distillery is located about an hours drive away in Black Fjord. I wasn't too impressed with their whiskeys but I suppose it is worth going if you have never been on a distillery tour.
When I go back I hope to meet the family I have in the area. Unfortunately, time didn't allow for that this time. Also, I recommend flying. It was a 6 hour train ride each way. Never having taking a cross country train ride I thought this might be fun... it isn't. Its overrated.
No comments:
Post a Comment